Wednesday 15 October 2014

Furnishing My Craft Room For Free

Regular readers will know that I had a round white table, a dressing table, some low shelf units, some high shelf units and some CD storage available to me. Here's how I used them to furnish my craft room.

I decided to put the table and chairs in front of the window. The natural light and the view is simply too nice to ignore but I am going to have to make a window treatment to keep the sun light from blinding me! I've not had this 'problem' before!

I put the lower shelf units on the wall facing the door. So far, so good! 




I considered using the dressing table as extra working space. This would allow me to leave projects out and still have space to use the laptop or the sewing machine on the table. I've never had this luxury before. 



Also, the fact that I can close the door means that CrossedPaws himself is denied the fun of knocking everything on the tabletop to the ground. I know he is cute but he is a terror too!


In the end I discarded the dressing table and opted for the tall book cases. I settled for three along the wall behind the door. I added brass lights to the top and some matching brass handles to the cupboard to tie it all in, because I already had them and because I could! Now, for the first time ever, all of my craft patterns, books and materials are all in one room. The picture below shows a shelf of my favourite and most used craft books.  



Finally, I put doors on the second low unit and filled the dog leg by the window with a tall corner shelf unit and the CD storage. The great thing about this is that the corner unit holds loads and is an arm's reach away, yet it is completely invisible from the door! 

I have a plan for the CD storage but I'm not going to share it with you yet. 

I'm pleased with the lay out. The floor space has even allowed me to remove my exercise machine from the main bedroom because it fits comfortably in front of the tall shelves. Now I can work out whilst the glue is drying!

I didn't want a television in here but I've sacrificed a shelf to my favourite music system. 

It is going to be very hard to leave this room!

The great thing about this room is that I've furnished it with furniture and fittings that I have and so I can spend my money on craft materials and much needed storage.