Friday 24 January 2014

New Project

I've been thinking about my latest project. 

This is the fun bit for me! Working out what I want it to look like and how to make it. 

Theme: I've decided on a Tree of Life theme for this set. 

Fabric: Whilst I love the look of cross stitch on Linen, I need a stronger fabric for what I have in mind and so I have chosen Aida for this project. Plus Aida is so quick and easy to stitch I'll have the smaller patterns done very quickly. 

Patterns: Last night I spent a few hours going through my patterns. The large Tree of Life has been taken from one of my favourite books - Barbara Hammet's 'Elizabethan Cross Stitch'. 

I need at least three smaller designs too. I hate sewing the same thing twice (too boring!) so I've been hunting for three different smaller designs that would fit nicely together and continue my chosen theme. I've decided to stitch three Donna Kooler patterns taken from her book 'Great Cross Stitch Gifts'. 

Threads: DMC

One of the reasons that I've bought the full set of colours is that once I reach this stage I get very impatient to start! I don't want to have to hunt down colours or wait for online deliveries. I want to stitch! It is also fun to incorporate some of the special effects threads into a pattern. The result can be stunning but don't overdo it!

Preparation

I've measured and cut the fabric. 

Now to blanket stitch the edges. This is a bit of a chore but I found out the hard way that it is time well spent. I usually end up regretting it if I try to 'cheat' and omit this stage. I used to use a contrasting cotton but now I use a cotton that is the same colour as the fabric. It is purely functional and almost invisible when done. 

The edging ensures that the pieces don't fray. It also strengthens the edges which simplifies the making up stage and makes it easier to 'undo' a creation that disappoints. Can't waste that cross stitching!