Monday 13 January 2014

Thread Organisation and Storage Completed!

It took me far longer than I had anticipated but I have finally finished organising my collection of threads. I am very pleased with the result. 

Every skein has been wound onto a labelled bobbin. The bobbins are stored in the wooden box by colour and DMC number. The numbers are clearly visible and selection is now quick and painless. The two boxes hold my full collection including antique effects, fluorescent effects, glow in the dark,  jewel effects and precious metal effects. 






Next task - Embroidery Frames

I have a number of embroidery frames to store. Over the years,  I've been experimenting to find something that is comfortable to use because I often suffer from back pain after a sewing session. I also like to have at least two projects on the go at any time - a large project and a smaller one.

I have a floor standing frame (currently holding my Afghan project). Not much I can do with that one! 

I also have a selection of lap frames. The most recent addition to my collection is a Siesta Lapman frame. It comes in a bag which sits on your lap and acts as a base for the frame and storage. I find it is the most comfortable to use. No more back ache. I use it for mid-size projects like my most recent collection, the lavender pillow. When I am done sewing for the evening I simply fold the frame inside the bag and zip it closed. It just looks like a laptop bag beside my favourite chair. 

The other lap frames have a wooden base to sit on and interchangeable frames, size, shape etc. The base means that they take up a lot of space to store.

There is also a circular frame on a clamp which is designed to attach to a table or the arm of a chair. I've never found this one comfortable to use. This one should definitely be retired!

Finally, I have a number of handheld ring frames. I don't find these very comfortable to use and so they are used very rarely.  I could reduce my collection by retiring some of these but before I do so, I am going to pad one to see if that makes it more enjoyable for me to use when I am stitching smaller projects. 

I've never used a padded frame so time will tell....I guess I've just identified another project for 2014!