Monday 3 February 2014

How I Upcycled An Old Embroidery Frame

I find it more comfortable to stitch with a frame but I just don't find handheld frames comfortable to use so I decided to try a padded frame. 

I first saw a padded frame listed in the 'materials' section of a cross stitching pattern book.  You can buy them but I just couldn't justify the cost given my existing large collection of frames so I decided to make one. 

I am hoping that it will be more comfortable to hold when stitching 'smalls' that are too tiny for my usual frames. 


I took the outer ring from an old round embroidery frame and padded it. 

The thing with 'making it up as you go along' is that it sometimes doesn't work! Initially I made a slip case, inserted the ring and attempted to stuff it. Sadly, I ended up with a lumpy mess! 

My next attempt was more successful. I used batting. I wasn't sure how thick I wanted the padding and so I chose a medium thickness. I decided I could always add more if the padding wasn't thick enough to hold it comfortably.  

To measure the fabric and the batting for the circular frame I simply wrapped a piece of string around the outer edge of the circle. I allowed a little extra for sewing (sides and join) and cut the fabric four times the width of the ring. I then simply folded it over and pinned it around the ring. 

I chose to sew it in place rather than glue it. 

I am really pleased with the result. My first impression is that it is really comfortable to hold. 

The next stage is to put the outer cover on it.