Monday 17 February 2014

Matching Bobbin Holder and Needlerest

I was so pleased with my new Needlebook that I decided to make a matching Bobbin Holder. 

I simply stitched one quarter of the main design for the front of the Bobbin Holder. Then, I took the heart and leaves from the top of the design and stitched it on the back because I didn't want to leave it plain. 


This pattern is really quick to stitch on the 18ct cream aida and I finished it in an afternoon. The fiddliest bit was inserting the eyelet. I have two tools for this and I don't find either particularly easy to use. One is very difficult to squeeze closed and doesn't permit use of a washer for the back and the other does allow use of the washer but requires a hammer. Both tools were purchased economically as an experiment. I am now wondering whether I'd benefit from buying the more expensive tool. 

Next, I threaded the Bobbin ring through the eyelet. The ring is medium sized and will comfortably hold approximately twelve plastic bobbins full of thread which is usually about right for stitching a 'small.'

Now I know that many people make these Bobbin Holders purely for decoration but I like to add function as well. I always stuff my Bobbin Holders so that they can double as Needle rests because I just don't find scissor fobs comfortable to use.