Tuesday 18 February 2014

Sew which way do you slant?

As a means to ensure neat stitching most books recommend that you stitch each cross stitch in two passes. The first pass is a half cross stitch in one direction and the second pass finishes the cross stitch with a half cross stitch in the other direction. Nothing new there. The method ensures that all of the top stitches point in the same direction which is undoubtedly aesthetically pleasing. It also keeps the back of the work neat and tidy. 

As part of my ongoing organisational efforts I've been reviewing my collection of patterns. Now I must admit that I've been a bit of a hoarder in the past and collected patterns even if I had my doubts that I'd ever sew them. You just never know, right? Whilst my intention was to try to thin them out a little, it actually got me thinking. Each designer recommends the method that I've outlined above but the starting stitch varies which obviously means that the top stitch will then vary from designer to designer. Is there a right and a wrong way? If so, why and does it really matter?

My top stitches always slant from top left to bottom right. I have no idea why but that is just my preferred choice. I am sure someone somewhere will say that that is a strong indication of my character! For me, it just makes it far easier to pick up and put down work easily.