Wednesday 5 March 2014

How to use up odd threads when you don't know the thread number

When I first started cross stitching I bought kits containing everything that I needed - pattern, fabric, threads, needle. I think this is the way that most people start cross stitching.

After completing a kit I frequently found that I was left with quite a lot of unused thread. I didn't want to throw it away and so I got into the habit of winding it onto bobbins. This is still my preferred way to store and to use thread. I find bobbins more manageable than skeins and they are also of less interest to CrossedPaws himself! He likes to roll around the floor with the Skeins. He looks cute but my threads end up a soggy knotty mess that is only fit for the bin. 

By pure coincidence I found that most of the kits used DMC threads and so I began to add the DMC number to the bobbins. This is how I began my thread collection. But then I noticed that some designers supply DMC threads but don't give the DMC number. At first I tried to match loose threads to DMC numbers but as anyone who has ever tried this will know, it is actually an incredibly difficult thing to do. I learnt my lesson after a matching error which led to me unpicking hours of stitching - never again! 

I was left with a mass of bobbins without DMC number which I dare not use for stitching in case I run out part way through a pattern. I put them away and forgot about them until now. I've just uncovered them as part of my ongoing organisational efforts. What to do? 

I woke up today with a brainwave. I am going to use them to make hand made cords and tassels. If I don't have enough of one colour to make a meaty tassel I can combine different colours to make multi-coloured tassels and cords. I am so going to do this! I can use them on some of the many lavender bags that I will be making later in the year to use up the excess lavender that I purchased in January.